Assignment one is finally completed (thank goodness).
Overall, I found the assignment to be a fair representation of the concepts we
have learned so far. When I say fair, I mean that it was all based on material
that we were supposed to know. But that doesn't mean I found it easy...
I found myself struggling (a lot) with a select few
questions. I don't think I'm speaking for myself when I say that question four
was one of the most challenging questions. In fact, it was a three-day process
for me. The first day I just tried to
understand what the question was asking me to do. Eventually I had some kind of
a vague idea but I was too tired to act upon it. The next day I came up with a
solution for 4(a), which I thought was correct until I went to see a TA in the
CS help centre, and he pointed out a major flaw in my reasoning. Darn. But
turns out I was close to the answer, because inspiration came while I was in
the subway. I tried switching around the sets I assigned to D, P, and Q, and my
example worked! The frustrating problem came when I started part (b). I
couldn't think of any examples that made one statement true and the other
false. My examples either made both true or both false. I went to prof office
hours but I still had trouble thinking of an example. Finally on the third day,
I went through the course notes again to see if I had missed any information. It
then occurred to me that maybe I didn't know the truth table as well as I
thought. Here's the piece of information that is now drilled in my head: if P
is false and Q is true, P Þ
Q is TRUE, and PÙQ is
FALSE. I have to admit, it felt pretty good finally checking off that question.
Progress so far: I still find every week to be a challenge. But
because of that, I find myself dedicating more time to study for this course.
Let's see, what else... OH, I still have to figure out the paper-folding
problem.
Haha, glad the assignment went well. CSC165 was not a cakewalk for me as well. But struggling is good, because it makes you strive for a deeper understanding. And it feels freaking good once you've finally understood the material. :)
ReplyDelete