Wednesday, 29 October 2014

SLOG #5: Proofs, and general thoughts on progress of the course so far


For the past couple of weeks, we've been learning about proofs and proof structure. I’m guessing that correct structuring of proofs is very important in this class because we've been focusing on that in tutorial as well. It’s actually not too bad once you learn and apply the structure rules. There’s a certain symmetry to it.  There's too much information on proof structuring to type out in this blog. I find that chapter 3 in the course notes nicely summarizes everything learned in class.

Self-Reflection
Boy, does time fly! Now’s a pretty good time to do some self-reflecting so that I can make the remaining month I have left in this course meaningful and productive.
To start on a positive note: I've been able to get perfect on the past few tutorial quizzes. It may not seem to be much to most people, but considering that I failed the first couple quizzes, it's very reassuring to see that at least I'm making improvement. 
The bad news: I’m starting to get really confused again in class. Ever since we started sorting strategies and bounding and the ‘worst case’, I've been pretty lost. I know that I should probably go to prof office hours to get help, but professor Heap’s office always has a long line-up and I have class during half of office hours. Perhaps asking the TA’s in the CS help center is a more reasonable approach.
Midterm AND assignment due next week! I’m actually really stressing out… Not sure how I’m going to manage so much work. My goal is to work on CSC165 for at least four hours a day until the midterm. Doing the practice problems and reading over notes is a good way to prepare. 

    

No comments:

Post a Comment